The virtual orienteering mobile app that we have chosen to use is call 'UsynligO' which has been developed by a Norwegian (hence the name, which means 'InvinsibleO' in Norwegian). It is used extensively in Scandinavia - and already has over 1400 locations available worldwide, ranging from Urban Sprints to the most complex of remote forest terrain!
We have chosen to use it for its simplicity - it is easy for us to get maps to you quickly - and more importantly it is easy to use as an orienteer.
Why use the app?:
- The app tracks your location via GPS and vibrates and makes a sound when you have found the next control point (it also plays a different sound when you hit the wrong control).
- Beginners can get help whist doing a course, as it is possible to ask the app for hints (direction and distance).
- It gives you a set of results at the end - showing your time and splits - useful in training
- You can share your results if you want and compare them to others on the same course
- It's fun! It even plays a little fanfare when you finish the course!
More details about the app and how to download it are available here:
The app is available for both iPhone and Android - the links to download it directly are below:
Virtual Orienteering Courses
How to print your own map